Following are links to fly fishing resources available on our Web site, along with some links to helpful and instructional information provided by others.
If you have a question, and you don’t find an answer using one the links below, contact us, and our Fly Fishing Enthusiast will be happy to answer your question!
Fly fishing, kayaking, fly tying, and all of the activities associated with our sport are made more enjoyable as we learn more about them. Please exercise good common sense and due caution in pursuing these activities.
- Weather Safety – Sheila Anderson
- Kayaking–Weather Safety and Communication – provided courtesy of
Captain Sally Moffett from her book, Saltwater Kayak Fishing the Texas Way
- Safety Strategies for Winter Fly Fishing
- Basic Survival Skills – Rozlynn Orr
- First Aid Basics – Mary K. Janco; edited by Rozlynn Orr
- Safety for Women Who Fly Fish – by Constance Whiston, founding member of TWFF
- Recognizing Venomous Snakes – Descriptions of cottonmouth (or water moccasin), rattlesnake, copperhead, and coral snakes provided by Texas Parks and Wildlife
- Identifying Poisonous Spiders – Descriptions of brown recluse and black widow spiders provided by Texas Parks and Wildlife
Basic tutorials on how to outfit yourself for fly fishing!
- Fly Rod, Reel, and Gear Selection for the Beginner – (under construction)
- Dress for Success – Lavene Jones
- O Rings and U Tubes Belly up to the Belly Boats! – Susan Dymond
- Pontoons–Float Tubes for the Ariel-Nots (or Pontoons: Easy-Chair Fishing!) – Janice Togal
- Kayak Selection – (under construction)
- Beginner Fly Casting – (under construction)
- Casting with Joan Wulff – (video)
- All Casts Are Not Equal – by Steve Hollensed, FFF MCI
Know your Fish
Links from the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department!
- Fish anatomy – www.tpwd.state.tx.us/learning/webcasts/rivers02/fish_swim.phtml
- Trout – www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/rbt/
- Sunfish, bluegill – www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/bgl/
- Rio Grande cichlids – www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/cichlid/
- Largemouth bass – www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/lmb/
- Smallmouth bass – www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/smb/
- Guadalupe bass – www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/gdb/
- Crappie – www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/crappie/
- Redfish – www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/reddrum/
- Speckled trout – www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/strout/
- Full range of aquatic species that inhabit Texas waters, including endangered species – www.tpwd.state.tx.us/landwater/water/aquaticspecies
Putting It All Together
Descriptions of the rivers we fish and the flies we use, along with maps and expert advice from some of our professional fly-fishing friends.
- Waters We Fish – Descriptions of the rivers we fish and the fish we catch along with a map showing locations of TWFF outings and links to descriptions of past outings.
- Basic Flies for Our Waters – Rozlynn Orr
- Know Your Flies – Pictures of basic flies (so far, we have Hoppers! ☺)
- Catch and Release Fishing – Frances Estes
- River Manners – Karen Gebhardt
- Code of Angling Ethics – TWFF subscribes to the International Federation of Fly Fishers™ Code of Angling Ethics
- Visualization by Sean G. Baker, Guide with Three Rivers Fly Shop in Broken Bow, Oklahoma. Sean guides on the Lower Mountain Fork River for rainbow and brown trout. In addition to his talents on the water, Sean is a very gifted artist. His paintings are available at the Three Rivers Fly Shop.
- Breaking the Rules by Sean G. Baker
- Fly-Fishing the Texas Hill Country by Kevin Hutchinson, of Hill Country Fly Fishers – This fourth edition of Bud Priddy’s book provides detailed descriptions of fifteen rivers and lakes in Texas along with GPS coordinates for river access points, flies that work, and updated lodging information for staying along Texas rivers. The book is beautifully illustrated with photographs by Kevin Hutchison and paintings and drawings by Anne Couteau. Current information on fly shops is included. To order Fly-Fishing the Texas Hill Country, contact Fishhead Press at 512.589.3474 or visit the Web site at www.fishheadpress.com.
- Bass on the Fly – by Sean Polk, Fishing Manager at Orvis, Dallas, Texas
- White Bass Fly Fishing Tips from Charlie Cypert – Coco Davenport and Debi Prather
- Estimating the weight of the ‘BIG’ One – by Rozlynn Orr
- Fishing on the Paluxy River – by Al Crise
- Trout Stocking Information – provided by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department
- Tenkara–Japanese-Style Fly Fishing by Misako Ishimura – Misako was first director of International Women Fly Fishers (IWFF) and chair of the IWFF/Club Liaison Committee (CLC) from 1998 to 2001. She has served as director of the Theodore Gordon Fly Fishers (TGF) and is a supporter of the TGF Trout in the Classroom (TIC) program, Wild Trout Conservation, and Project Access. Ms. Ishimura’s interest in the streams of the Catskills—where she fishes— and hands-on conservation activities include stream bank restorations and planting as well as organizing TIC Environmental Study Weekends.
- Equipment List for Saltwater Fishing – by Stacy Lynn
- New Texas Beach and Bay Access Guide – Maps and descriptions of the coastal waters and beach and bay access along the Texas coastline, provided by the Texas General Land Office (GLO).
- Texas Rivers Guide – Internet database updated annually by TPWD. This site provides current information about the 3,700 named streams and 15 major rivers of Texas.
- GIS Map of Texas Rivers, Reservoirs, and Major Bays
- GIS Lab Map Downloads – The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department GIS Lab provides a library of hydrological, biological, and projections maps, which can be used with Global Positioning Systems (GPS).
- Texas Lakes – Use this handy lake finder, provided by TPWD, to find out moreabout Texas lakes!
- Lake Texoma (Denison Dam) Generation Schedule – (or call 903.465.1491)
- Tides – The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department provides information on Gulf tides. Click the links below to find out more about…Texas tidesDaily tide chart
- Tide and current predictors
- Understanding tides
- Graphed Tides of the United States – Daily graphs of the tides along the Texas and Gulf Coasts
- USGS Current Conditions for Texas: Streamflow
- Weekly Wildlife News–Oklahoma – covering Blue River and Broken Bow
- Fly Tying – fly patterns and instructions for the waters we fish, provided by Kyle Hand.
- Briminator – fly pattern demonstration (YouTube video)
- Conservation Is So Much More – Rozlynn Orr
- International Federation of Fly Fishers – Conservation
- Gulf Coast Council Federation of Fly Fishers – Conservation
- FDA considers approval of genetically engineered salmon – Austin American Statesman, June 26, 2010
- Challenges to Sharing and Conserving our Bays Workshop – January 2011
- TWFF Outreach – Information on our outreach programs with a sample from our Mullet Mixer Magic Cookbook
- Food for Thought – More fun and cool stuff, including recipes, stories, and information our members want to share
I have a question…
If you have a question, and you don’t find an answer using one the links on this page, our helpful Fly Fishing Enthusiast will be happy to help!
Click the “I have a question” button to submit your question!
Fly Fishing Organizations
- International Federation of Fly Fishers (IFFF) www.fedflyfishers.org
- Gulf Coast Council Federation of Fly Fishers (GCCFFF) www.gulfcoastfff.org
- International Women Fly Fishers – www.intlwomenflyfishers.org
- Texas Lady Anglers – www.texasladyanglers.com
- Alamo Fly Fishers – www.alamoflyfishers.org
- Austin Fly Fishers – www.austinflyfishers.com
- Brazos Valley Fly Fishers – www.bvffonline.org
- Central Texas Flyfishers – www.ctff.org
- Central Texas Flyrodders – www.centraltexasflyrodders.org
- Dallas Flyfishers – http://www.dallasflyfishers.org/
- East Texas Fly Fishers – www.easttexasflyfishers.org
- Fort Worth Fly Fishers – www.fortworthflyfishers.org
- Fredericksburg Fly Fishers – www.fredericksburgflyfishers.org
- Guadalupe River Trout Unlimited – www.grtu.org
- Hill Country Fly Fishers – www.hcff.org
- Lone Star Fly Fishers – www.lonestarflyfishers.com/index.html
- Montgomery County Flyrodders – http://montgomerycountyflyrodders.com
- New Braunfels Fly Fishers – newbraunfelsflyfishers.org
- Red Stick Fly Fishers – www.rsff.org
- Red River Fly Fishers – www.rrff.org
- Rockport Fly Fishers – www.rockportflyfishers.com
- San Gabriel Fly Fishers – www.sgflyfishers.com
- Texas Council of International Federation of Fly Fishers – texascouncilifff.com
- Texas Fly Fishers of Houston – www.texasflyfishers.org